04 May 2008

Camembert art

Sometimes I can go months without eating any camembert. And then I see a label that attracts me and I buy one. It's not like camembert is expensive here — I got this one from the cheese vendor at the Saint-Aignan market a couple of Saturdays ago for less than 2 euros.


And then I taste it and remember why it is the classic French cheese. Okay, I know, you could give that title to roquefort, brie, époisses, sainte-maure de touraine, cantal, comté, or our local chèvres. But I'll give it to camembert today and tell you how good it is. Even pasteurized, like this one from the Mayenne region northwest of here on the way to the Mont Saint-Michel.

5 comments:

  1. You pose a good question -- what is the truest, most classic French cheese? A pretty difficult one too. I might be tempted to say Brie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Maroilles, Saint-Nectaire, Reblochon and Port-Salut? I'd say it all depends of the region you're in.
    Camembert is certainly a very good cheese, but it is so seldom you find a REALLY good one! Whereas so many others are so consistent.
    Even Brie is different whether it is Brie de Meaux, Brie de Melun or Brie de Coulommiers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wish i could get ANY of these here in VA!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh...I'll take a nice chèvre, please.

    Meilleurs voeux!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for your local chèvres, the ones with the ash coating. But then again, you could tempt me with a nice comte, or... What an embarrassment of riches you have.

    ...Susan

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?