25 March 2011

Day 1 back in France

I fell asleep on the sofa at 9:00 p.m. after my 30-hour journey. Walt woke me up and I moved to the bed, where I stayed until nearly 10:00 this morning. I'm still groggy.

When I got up I went down to the kitchen. Walt was nowhere to be found. I noticed that there was no fresh bread on the kitchen counter, even though the bread lady comes at 8:30 on Saturday mornings.

Walt cut down that old, half-dead apple tree this morning.
We'd been meaning to get it cut down for two years.


Then Walt appeared. He had been down in the utility room putting a new chain on the chainsaw, he said. "Why isn't there any fresh bread? Did you get any this morning?" I asked him. The bread lady hasn't come yet, he answered. No, I said, she comes early on Saturdays.

While I was gone, the collard seeds I sowed
nearly three weeks ago came up.
..

"Today is Friday," Walt said. That would explain it then, I thought. Still, I wasn't convinced he was right. It felt like Saturday to me.

...and the plum trees I planted three years ago blossomed out.

The sun was and is shining brightly outdoors. I went out and took some pictures. I need to make lunch; there's a big, beautiful cauliflower in the refrigerator. Cauliflower with cheese sauce. Here I go.

9 comments:

  1. Welcome home.

    I wish I had read this earlier - then I could have offered to help dispose of the cauliflower cheese :¬)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't take you long to get
    back to your routine...even if
    you're not sure of what day it
    is. Glad you're home safe and
    sound. Tales of an air traffic
    controller asleep at his desk
    are enough to give one the
    willies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken,
    Welcome home also - hello to your spring while we see leaves falling in our backyard. Ejoyed your posts while away seeing your Mom!
    I'm helping my father celebrate his 90th on April 4. We are fortunate to have them still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lewis thought yesterday was Friday also, if that helps.

    Your lunch sounds yummy, sorry about the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're back safe and sound, if a bit jet lagged. Those two weeks seemed to fly by. Enjoyed learning more about the NC coast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did the aucubas fare this past winter?

    Word verification is kailatom as in "ousse kailatom de Savoie?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Cauliflower with cheese sauce" My favorite right after curried cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rather like not knowing what day it is. It only used to happen when on holiday but now that I am two-fifths retired it happens more often.
    Glad to have you back, Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home! I've been following your blog for about a year now and look forward to it each day. I'm planning my first trip to France in September and now I have some idea as to what I might expect regarding "jet lag."

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?