01 May 2016

La mayonnaise à la fourchette

Yesterday I decided to make another batch of mayonnaise — we still had some white asparagus to cook and eat. And I did something I have maybe never done before: I set up my camera on its tripod, put it on the table focused on the bowl, and put in in video mode. The running time of the video is about three minutes. I didn't erase the sound track, but there's really nothing interesting to hear.



I decided to make the mayonnaise using just a fork to mix it with, instead of a whisk, to show you how easy it is to do. Here's a recap of the ingredients.
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 splash vinegar (about ½ tsp.)
  • salt and black pepper
  • 175 ml (¾ cup U.S.) vegetable oil
For the mayonnaise in my video, I used red wine vinegar and a 50/50 mixture of olive oil and canola (colza) oil. The video goes a little blurry just before then end, but I didn't try to redo it. It still makes the point. You can see how slowly at first, but faster toward the end, you can pour the oil into the egg mixture. The trick is to keep beating the mixture steadily as the mayonnaise comes together.

This is a fresh mayonnaise that is really good served with cold foods like hard-boiled eggs, poached asparagus, a steamed artichoke, cooked chicken, fish, shellfish, or ham, etc. It's also good with steak, or turned into a thousand island dressing or tartar sauce.

14 comments:

  1. I never, ever realised it was THAT "simples"...
    thanks for busting the myth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I was thinking of the "sauce tartare", which is really delicious and refreshing: just add a handful of parsley and a handful of chervil, a small shallot, a spoonful of capers, a tea spoonful of vinegar, put it in ze moulinette, and you have a wonderful green sauce tartare!

    I must say I admire you to make your mayonnaise with a fork, I make it about twice a week, but I reallly need a whisk, I cannot do it with a fork! (My mother could... :-) )

    Have a nice day!
    lulu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! What I like with your recipes and with this video, you make it all sounds so simple and easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you add some cream to the mayonnaise along with some more vinegar and Dijon mustard you get the rémoulade used to season grated celeriac known as céleri rémoulade.

      Delete
  4. The video was nifty! I need to try some remoulade one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this Ken. It sure thickens up, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, thanks for the education. I use crème fraise in my remoulade -- this sounds good, and (once one gets the knack of making mayo) much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Céleri rémoulade needs a good mayonnaise (commercial like Duke's, or home-made) plus an equal amout of crème fraîche, some extra Dijon mustard, and a little more vinegar too, for the tangy flavor -- as described by CHM. The celery is the grated root, not stalks of celery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the typos -- tablets and their virtual keyboards.

      Delete
  8. OK!
    Just when I thought of copying your achievement with the hand whisker, now I have to give THIS a try.
    Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice to be able to see the process. Hope it tastes as good as it looks. I'd love it if you'd play along with Dreaming of France. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paulita, I like to do my blog at my own rhythm and pace. I don't dream of France, I just live here. Thanks for the invitation though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the video, and the color of the beautiful yolk! I always use an immersion blender, but I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?