12 January 2017

Pumpkin “pie” — pizza pie

I have some more to say about canned food in France, but first, here's a pizza topped with spicy pumpkin purée, smoked chicken, bell peppers, and alpine cheese. It was Walt's idea, and he made it while I was out shopping yesterday morning. We both enjoyed eating it.


I'm saying pumpkin but what Walt used on the pizza was actually the puréed flesh of a roasted sucrine du Berry, which resembles a butternut squash. He seasoned it with hot pepper powder, onion, garlic, and dried herbs. It replaced the tomato sauce you would usually put on a pizza, with the other toppings spread over it.


The smoked chicken was one that I bought at Intermarché a few days ago to have with a batch of choucroute garnie (sauerkraut). We had half of it left, so I de-boned the breast filet and shredded/chopped the meat. The bell peppers came frozen from the Picard store over in Romorantin, and are a mix of red, green, and yellow peppers. They're an excellent product. Walt said he sauteed them with just a little bit of honey to caramelize the strips of pepper.

6 comments:

  1. If it's any consolation I'd call it pumpkin too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the U.S., we have pumpkins that are big round orange things. And then we have winter squashes -- butternut, acorn, etc. -- that are green or tan on the outside but just like pumpkin -- orange -- on the inside.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I think the butternut would be much better for this than pumpkin also .. don't you Ken ?
    It looks gorgeous and being a non meat eater, it looks like just a slice would be satisfying ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't eaten any actual butternut squash in a while, just pumpkin and sucrine, so I don't know. I like them all.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to have Danny read this post. He is mad for anything pumpkin or squash, from calabacitas to lattes and pies.

    The pizza looks great and what a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also make a nice enchilada sauce using winter sqash purée. I found a recipe on the 'net.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?