24 May 2015

Chicken in a honey and soy sauce with ginger and garlic

I did go to our neighbor's funeral yesterday. It was a simple ceremony and very dignified. I'll try to write about it later, but I'm not ready to do that this morning. Meanwhile, my close relative in North Carolina, after having a heart attack a few days ago, is still not conscious. I think she's in a coma, even though I'm not sure the doctor's are calling it that. All these recent deaths and illnesses among relatives, friends, and neighbors are weighing on me.

Yesterday afternoon's skies over the vineyard

Meanwhile, yesterday for lunch I made a recipe that I saw on David Lebovitz's blog a few days ago. It turned out to be really good — that wasn't a surprise. It's chicken with a soy, ginger, and honey sauce, and you cook it in the oven after marinating it. That's a lot less messy than stir-frying, I think.


David's recipe calls for marinating and cooking chicken thighs in the soy, honey, and ginger sauce, but I had two chicken leg and thigh sections left from last week's market chicken. I had cooked the breast and wings with 20 cloves of garlic. Yesterday I took the legs out of the freezer and cooked them as you see. I can imagine this recipe would be really good with duck legs and thighs. Next time...


I added some hot pepper sauce and red pepper flakes to the marinade/sauce. I also cooked some Italian green beans and some Japanese udon noodles to have with the chicken. They were just cooked plain, and then served with the sauce the chicken marinated and cooked in. You can find David's recipe here.

8 comments:

  1. Wow the meal looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to make the same thing with duck next time.

      Delete
  2. That looks lovely food, Ken...
    simples!!
    I like udon noodles... they have a nice "bite" to them...
    a little Japanese fast-food restaurant opposite Pauline's office used to do various filling soups...
    all based around Japanese noodles... it being a noodle bar... and udon were always my favourite.
    But, I found some Alsace noodles... Spaetzle... in the supermarché the other day....
    they have the same "bite"... and, being cut into 6" lengths, are easier to handle on the plate...
    even if not as much fun... or bringing as much luck.

    Talking of luck... I hope you get better news from the States in the next few days...
    and, because French is now almost your first language....
    you are in the perfect position to give support to D., once he completes his move "south" to be with their family...
    and, in some ways, it will be nice for you and Walt to get another, permanent neighbour....
    Keep well... and always look on the bright side of life,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a package of Spaetzle at LIDL in Romo recently. Probably the same you had, and they were good. I once had a German friend who made them. That's how I first heard the name. Walt says his mother made them on a regular basis, and his family in Albany NY called the "specialies."

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about the effect of hearing about deaths and illnesses-- even among the famous people that we've grown up always knowing about.

    The chicken dish does look tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious. I understand, I think, some of your feelings about a death in your neighborhood and a serious illness in your family. I'm having way too many of these events in my own world lately, and I'm only a little older than you are..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That charred skin is what makes the dish .... sweet and a bit bitter perhaps....perfect....here's another roast chicken recipe given to me by a former colleague at Auburn U. The recipe comes from her Greek mother. I've made it many times over the years, and have tweaked it a bit here and there adding different types of fresh herbs...but it's always a winner, simple but very flavorful.

    1 roasting chicken.
    Pour lemon juice, olive oil over chicken. Sprinkle inside with salt. Season both sides with salt, pepper, seasoned salt, seasoned pepper, lemon pepper, oregano. Add about 1 cup water to the roasting pan.

    Bake uncovered, back side up, at 400F until brown (about 45 min). Pour about 1/2 cup of sherry over chicken and baste with juices (raise temp to 425) and let get good and brown (baste).

    After about 20 min, turn chicken over (return to 400F). After about 1 3/4 hrs (from start), add potatoes. Baste, cover with tin foil, lower temp to 350 and cook for 1 1/2 hrs.

    Bon appétit......

    DR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, DR. I will definitely do that. I like chicken cooked long and slow, so that the meat is tender and the skin is browned. Lemon juice, olive oil, oregano -- it doesn't get much better than that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?