17 September 2015

Paris panorama

I've been working with this photo since yesterday morning, trying to figure out how to post it. I wish the blogging software didn't impose a limit of 1600 pixels as the maximum size of an image that can be posted.


So I cropped my photo and resized it to a width of 3200 pixels. Then I cut it in half, producing two images that are 1600 pixels wide. Then I resized the whole 3200 pixel image down to 1600 pixels wide — that's the image above. The two halves are below.


In the image above, you can see a part of the Louvre, the Eglise Saint-Eustache, the cupola of the Institut, the Eglise de Saint-Germain-des-Prés, the rue de Rennes, the Eglise Saint-Sulpice, the Place Dauphine on the Ile de la Cité, the Samaritaine department store building, the Tour Saint-Jacques, and the Centre Pompidou.


And in this image, there's the Hôtel de Ville, the Cathédrale de Notre-Dame de Paris, and the Père Lachaise cemetery in the background, with the Sorbonne, the Panthéon, and of course the Palais and the Jardin du Luxembourg closer in.


Finally, here's the image I've been working with, taken from the outdoor observation deck at the top of the Tour Montparnasse in Paris. You can click or tap on any image to display it at a larger size.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! That's great. A lot of work for a stunning result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool to have the observation deck itself in the photo --helps give perspective. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, I can clearly see the Alliance Française building in the picture. I just noticed it, near the railing on the top of the Tour Montparnasse, just above the second post from the left.

      Delete
  3. I have been loving all these bird's eye views of Paris! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures Ken. You really get a sense of the density and scale of the city.

    I would have wited for you at the bottom of the Tour....that observation deck looks very open, and I'm no fan of heights. So I'm glad we get to see them through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To get around the photo size limit:

    Open a dropbox account. It's free for up to 2gb.
    Load your new, supersized photo into the "public" folder on dropbox.
    Right click on the photo in the public folder, and click "copy public link"
    Paste this into the photo uploader in blogger ("select a file from a URL")
    voila!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mean voila! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85842309/paris.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I'll try that. Good solution if it works.

      Delete
  7. I'm going to post about this tomorrow, Simon.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?