12 October 2015

Ces figues

I declare the preserved figs a success. Here's what I got. The figs are tender and moist and not really like candy. And they are sweet but not much sweeter than they were before I cooked them and let them macerate in sugar. The sugar syrup is of course, really sweet. (Jump to this post to see how the figs were processed.)


Now I have to figure out how to keep the figs. According to the method I followed, there are two choices: put them up like gelée or confiture in jars with the sugar syrup, or just put the preserved figs in a hermetically sealed jar. But it seems to me they might keep well in the freezer. I'll have to decide today.


I cut one of the "candied" figs in half this morning to see what the inside looked like. Also, because after I cut it in half I then cut each half in half and ate two three pieces! For breakfast, you might say. That's how I know how sweet the preserved figs are. With foie gras, I think a few drops of balsamic or other vinegar would be good on them.




I took a third of the figs we were given and preserved them in sugar as figues confites. Walt took another third — the ripest ones — and made a tart, which we finished eating yesterday. The last third I turned into a compote.




For about a pound of ripe figs, each of which I cut into six pieces, I added two generous tablespoons of honey and a couple of drops of vanilla extract. I also put in a splash or two of water and then I let the figs cook down on medium heat until they had the thick consistency I wanted.




We'll eat the compote mostly with yogurt or French fromage blanc (a similar dairy product). I'm just going to keep the fig compote in a jar in the fridge until it is gone rather than trying to put it up the way you would jelly or jam. I don't think it is going to last all that long.

6 comments:

  1. I just love fresh figs; dried up ones, not so much. These seem to be the in between fresh and dried up. I'd love to try them. Keep me one for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like fig jam with goat cheese or cream cheese, on a cracker... And the fig spread is really expensive here, so you have yourself a very thrifty set of treats here :) Thanks for showing us the final results, including the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally... the suspense was killing me. I was going to follow your lead and make the candied figs but I wanted to see how they turned out first. Unfortunately the figs that were at the store the other day are now long gone. Maybe another batch will come in later this week. I've been enjoying your blog all summer long, so many good pictures and interesting narrative. Nice to see some cooking getting some of the limelight as well.

    -craig-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh, dried, pickled, sugared, in pie, jam, or cookies, with cream cheese...I like figs any way I can get them. These look heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy yummy yummy! Figs are fabulous! Fresh figs with Parma ham... Fresh figs with more fresh figs... Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I lived in a place where figs could grow! They are so delicious and can be used so many ways. A lovely old Hungarian lady used to give me home made "Figa Bor" (fig wine) whenever I visited her. She was the daughter of my husband's grandmother's sister and died long ago, but I will always remember her for those visits and that wine.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?