13 September 2016

Change of season?

Today may well be the last summer-like day of 2016 here in Saint-Aignan. The temperature is supposed to hit 90ºF, and maybe 95, according to the weather sites we keep track of. Looking at historical averages, we would expect a temperature in the low 70s on this date. We can't complain. We have had a fantastic season, with only a few days that were unbearably hot. Mostly it's been pleasant since mid-June — dry and sunny.


We are expecting rain starting tomorrow and much cooler weather here at La Renaudière, in the vineyards outside Saint-Aignan-sur-Cher. It doesn't show in my photo above, but the grass is parched and brown all around. The grapevines, hedges, and trees stay green because they have deep roots. That's our house, surrounded by tall trees, in the middle of the picture (with a neighbor's to the right) and the river valley as a backdrop.


I'm looking forward to the change in the weather and the advent of a new season. The vegetable garden, except for the kale and the winter squash plants, is winding down now. Walt made six liters of tomato sauce yesterday, and he pulled out the three rows of green bean plants that have been so productive and threw them on the compost pile. I harvested and cooked kale. Signs of change... but still no sign that the grape harvest has begun.

8 comments:

  1. Our weather report promised thunderstorms tomorrow, but that's been downgraded now to "rare showers." It is so dry, the ground is like concrete. I rarely see or hear birds anymore. It has been very pleasant for humans--Carcassonne has been in the upper 80s, and while it got hot in July and August we didn't get past the mid-90s, so very liveable. But it's a disaster for the plants and animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is much hotter and windier down where you live than it is in the Loire Valley. We need rain at this point, but there are still plenty of birds around. Walt has been watering the vegetable garden by hand nearly every morning, and as you've seen, it's been producing tons of beans, tomatoes, and greens. Now we're waiting for the bell peppers to turn red. Hope they do.

      Delete
  2. I feel good today, but I felt lousy yesterday, so I made appointment to see my doctor tomorrow morning. I'll see what he has to say. The problem now is itchiness, not serious pain as I had earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't going to like this, but one of the things I read about your condition is that you should avoid tomatoes. Some other things, too, but that stands out. Bummer.

      Delete
    2. Oops, too late. I've been eating tons of tomatoes on a daily basis. In all my reading, I didn't see anything about diet restrictions. The fact is, I'm much better and I'm going to see my doctor this morning.

      Delete
  3. First photo is beautiful. I wonder when they will start the grape harvest? They look about as ripe as they could get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Predictions are that more than an inch of rain will fall on the vineyard today. The vignerons must be pretty nervous this morning.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?